Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Sake bombs, bed shopping, OPL, America, Stefan Sagmeister and me!

Sushi

Sakebombs

Why is it so hard to set words on experiences and feelings? Is it because it's too personal or because our vocabulary isn't wide enough, or a mix of both? I don't have the answer, but I'll try to explain and tell my story now.. with words and pictures.. I'll share as much as I possible can, but I will still keep something to myself. Even tho "you have to experience it to be able to understand" is a cliche statement, I believe there is something true in it... enough philosophy.. Mum and dad I MISS YOU!

I haven't been updating my blog in a while (yes, I know this is only my second posting..) so I think I have paint backwards this time..

I saw Stefan Sagmeister yesterday! He is brilliant!! For all of you that missed his inspiring talk about life experience, design and happiness, you can watch part of it on www.ted.com. RIT (my school) arranged a design competition some weeks before he came were the students had to come up with a design that touched someone's heart. And here is some of the results:

I miss you mum!

When you sat down in the sofa you would be able to read the text.
By the way, the girl next to the sofa is Yi, my classmate and friend from China.

No explanation needed.

This is what made my day - creativity and Stefan! Oh and Søren did the weekly shopping that day! Thank you!!

A material object that have made my nights a lot more comfortable is my new bed. It was a new experience to make it fit in my room (I had to move stuff around, and there isn't that much free space in my room to do that), but I love it! It's huge and comfy! It is more comfy than my bed at home! It is making it a lot more difficult to get out of bed in the mornings, but it is worth it!

Apart from reading chapter after chapter about ink, color management and statistics, I'm working as a graduate assistant for one of my professors and for the OPL. Open Publishing Lab. I'm hired as a graphic designer on the ReDesign team for their homepage. (http://opl.rit.edu) So today I went out with Liz (another cool classmate) to get some markers and marker paper and I can't wait to make some sketches again! I do a lot of design stuff for my professor as well and my brain is so happy when it gets a break from all the technology science it have to absorb when I'm studying. Even tho my brain and I have to absorb a lot of new information I still love it. Every day here is a reminder of how much I enjoy learning. Listening to people stories and experiences. Expanding my knowledge. Exploring the bigger picture.

Ohh, bigger just reminds me of everything in America. It is big! Even the thin sliced cheese isn't thin compared to thin sliced Norwegian cheese. It is thick! Still tasted good tho =) And so far I haven't been able to finish my food when we've been eating out or ordering food. Or I have finished it, but the day after..

My words are getting boring - I'm done.



1 comment:

  1. Hei kjære kusine :)

    Godt å høre fra deg igjen! Høres ut som du har det fint, så keep up the good work :D

    Litt norsk/engelsk her...

    Glad i deg, og gleder meg til neste blogginnlegg!

    Stor klem Siv <3

    ReplyDelete